El Mangroove hotel received the highest rank (level 5) in the Certification for Sustainable Tourism (CST) program by the Costa Rican Tourism Board (ICT). This recognition reflects the hotel, its team, and guest’s compromise with the local community and environment.
“It´s an honor and prestigious acknowledgement that highlights our responsibility with the environment and for the sustainable development of the community” expressed Jose Monge, Corporate Director of Operations of Enjoy Group.
Some of its sustainable practices include:
- Water-efficent faucets
- Dual-flush toilets for water conservation
- Irrigation water treated on-site
- Most illumination is LED and fluorescent lightning of low consumption
- Most food products are organic and local
- The wood of trees that were cut down during its construction were recycled into furniture and mirror frames
Some of El Mangroove´s ongoing projects that aim to improve the quality of life in the community:
- Adopt a Tree, Reforestation and Recycling Program
- Local Kids English Learning Camp
- Beach Clean-Up Program
- Blue Flag Ecological Program in Panamá Beach
- Water Quality Seal Program
- Volunteering program in the community
- Agreements and alliances with local suppliers
- Energy-saving and management practices in the hotel and community
The CST is a program created by the ICT, regulated by The National Accreditation Commission that categorizes tourism companies based in their degree of responsibility with the environment, natural resources, community and culture. The CST evaluates the following factors: physical and biological relationship, internal processes and practices of lodging establishments, management services-tour operator agencies, the client, and the socio-economic realm. This certification was created to make sustainable tourism a reality, protecting the economy, society, and environment, but most importantly, the tourist.